Sunday, February 10, 2013

Reflection: Using Tagxedo and Pinterest in the Classroom

            Through a recent class project, I learned how to use Tagxedo and Pinterest. While using these I learned and discovered many ways these websites can be useful in a classroom. For anyone who does not not know what Tagxedo or Pinterest is, Tagxedo is a website that generates an image using a collection of words that you have given to it. Pinterest is like an online clipboard of many photos that you can save and then sort into categories of your choice. I have ones such as classroom ideas, things I want, and my style.
            While I was creating my Tagxedo I thought about ways I could use this in the classroom. You can have students write words under categories like state capitals, presidents, our spelling words, things related to my state, etc. Using a program like this gives the students a chance to put all of the information they know about something into one idea. They can also pick a shape to put their words in and relate the shape to the topic. For instance, if I were to give them the category of American Presidents, they could shape their picture to look like Abraham Lincoln, or the American flag. Not only will this help students remember important concepts, but they will enjoy learning.
            I also use Pinterest on a weekly basis for fun. However, you can also use it in the classroom for the same ideas I presented with Tagxedo. You can have each of the students create a profile and have them create online Pin boards with categories such as art work, things related to history, homework help and more. As a teacher, you can also use it to keep track of other teachers pin boards, classroom ideas, and lesson plans.  Both of these websites would be useful for you and your students. Anytime you can use technology in a lesson, it will enhance the students understanding of the material.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that both Tagxedo and Pinterest could both be used in the classroom. A Tagxedo would be a great tool to have children describe themselves . I myself have a Pinterest and have a ton of fun on it! However I have also recently realized that it can be used as a classroom technology tool Not only can I use it to find cool ideas for the classroom , but also as you said, I can have the kids make boards pertaing to their interests, and what they are learning! When used in the right way both Tagxedo and Pinterest can be a fun fun learning tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought it was interesting. Most teachers don't use these types of things in the classroom, but I think it can be very effective. It shows the students a different way to express themselves. And if they are a visual learner this can also help them better understand certain ideas. Teachers can use these as tools to find out what there students interests are or they can use it to teach new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post. I, too, use Pinterest for fun, but also think it would be a great way to get ideas for the classroom. I have a board specifically for school ideas, as well. I liked this assignment although I didn't use my Pinterest account. Instead, I used Tagxedo since I had never used it before and thought it would be fun to try it out. I agree with you; Tagxedo would be a great tool to use in the classroom. I like your ideas for using Tagxedo and may have to borrow them some day! :)

    ReplyDelete