Sunday, February 10, 2013

Differentiating Instruction Through Interactive Games (Tech2Learn Series) : Response

http://www.edutopia.org/tech-to-learn-differentiated-instruction-interactive-games-video

         I just watched an amazing video about integrating technology into the classroom to meet many students learning needs at one time. Throughout most lessons you have to teach everyone as a whole and then when it comes time to practice with that lesson, you have to spend all of your time with a few people who do not understand. This can become time consuming and stressful if there are multiple kids that need special attention. This video I just watched was truly a great solution.
      The teacher in this video was lucky enough to receive grants from the state for certain education software. He also received several Macbooks and ipod touches from Apple. He used these gifts as a way to teach his students through gaming. The software he was given was a math program that consisted of a basic level that everyone started with according to their grade level. The information on it was all very simple concepts that these students should know at their grade level. Once the students passed the base level the software took them to a new game depending on what skill they needed to work on most (based on the first games results). With each student playing these games on their own laptop, they were each working at their own pace and their own level and the teacher was there to help when needed. I think this is an excellent software to use when available because the students have fun while learning, they are not having to compete with classmates, and its a stress free environment for them. If this were available to me as an educator I would absolutely use it in the classroom.  
     In the video shown, the students looked to be anywhere from grades 3-5. When I was that age in school, we rarely used the computers and math lessons were always taught with pencil and paper. Often times I would become bored or frustrated when I understood something and I had to wait for everyone else in order to move on. If I would have had technology like this, I could have progressed to a higher math class and I would now have more math concepts learned than I do today. This technology would be great to have in the classroom without a doubt.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment